This course is relevant for anyone who wishes to gain further skills and knowledge in counselling and pastoral care from a Christian worldview. It is ideal preparation for the Diploma in Counselling. The course offers 150 Guided Learning Hours.
Applicants ideally need to have completed the CCTS Introduction To Christian Counselling Level 2 course or our Deeper Connection course before applying for OCN Level 3. The course covers the following:
- Human growth and development
- Advanced counselling skills
- Aspects of professional practice
- Personal development
- Anti-discriminatory practice
- Visual and kinaesthetic counselling skills
- Counselling practice with feedback
Course participants will be required to engage in directed reading, journalling and written assignments for assessment. This will amount on average, to 4-6 hours per week. Students will be required to have a minimum of 15 hours of their own counselling, paid for at their own expense.
By the end of the couse we hope that participants will be able to:
- Describe, evaluate and apply the three phases of CCTS model of counselling
- Define and apply the skills of advanced empathy, confrontation, immediacy, self-disclosure, information giving, decision making and goal planning
- Evaluate and work with defence mechanisms, resistance, transference and counter transference
- Evaluate and apply a developmental theory to one’s own life
- Compare and contrast the CCTS model with others
- Use Creative techniques, e.g. Russian Dolls, visual techniques etc to engage clients
- Discuss and apply the dynamics of forgiveness, repentance, use of Scripture and prayer in counselling
- Evaluate the use and purpose of contracts, records, supervision and Codes of Ethics relevant to counselling
- Evaluate their own lives using the course material
- Discuss and apply anti-discriminatory practice
- Present a short research project.
We hope to run the next course in early 2021. If we do it will most likely be on an Monday evening and occasional Friday evening and Saturdays over the year.
We are currently taking Expressions of Interest, so please complete and submit this form if you would like to enrol on the course>> Expression of Interest Form
The fee for the year is £1,600 and includes registration and accreditation with the OCN, student membership of the ACC, comprehensive notes and refreshments.
Central Hall, St. Mary Street, Southampton, SO14 1NF. Some teaching may be over Zoom and we will also be using Google Classroom.